Hemingray-42 telegraph insulator
A Hemingray-42 telegraph insulator made of aqua colored glass. This particular type of insulator was used from 1921 until the 1950s. It has round drip points, a double petticoat and a long smooth leakage path on the inner petticoat. It sits close to the cross-arm, giving the pin protection against rain slash. Hemingray company founded in 1848 became one of the earliest and most prolific insulator manufactures. This artifact is part of the Bryant Collection at Old Independence Regional Museum.
Batesville policeman Flavel L. Green (circa 1960)
A photo of Flavel L. Green taken around 1960. Mr. Green was a veteran Batesville policeman and is shown in uniform standing in front of a building. This photo is part of the Powell-Guard Collection at Old Independence Regional Museum.
A photo of Main Street Batesville around 1890. You can see the Maxfield sign, the board sidewalk and people in the distance. A glass street lamp is visible on the left side of the photo. This photo is part of the Powell-Guard Collection at Old Independence Regional Museum.
Blue georgette dress (1920’s) owned by Miss Bess Maxfield
A beautiful blue georgette dress with a multitude of glass beads sewn onto the bodice and skirt. The dress dates from the 1920s and was owned by Miss Bess Maxfield, daughter of Charles Wesley Maxfield and Monnie Wycough. She graduated from the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music and then taught music at Arkansas College and gave private piano lessons in her home on 11th and Boswell streets for many years. This artifact is part of the Strahl/Maxfield Collection at Old Independence Regional Museum.